Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

About Sherlock Holmes

"So, Watson. You don't propose to invest in South African securities?" ~Sherlock Holmes

"How on earth do you know that?" ~Dr. Watson


It is kind of interesting how Sherlock Holmes knows exactly what Dr. Watson is thinking, or at least I think so. To Sherlock Holmes it is so absurdly simple to know what Dr. Watson is thinking that he hardly knows how he does it himself because the train of thought goes through his head so quickly. You'll find it yourself if you read these interesting adventure stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. These very exciting stories are filled with mystery, danger, cunning and anything you can think of that goes with adventure. Especially The Adventure of the Devil's Foot, and The Adventure of the Dying Detective, which besides the other things I've mentioned also has anticipation and trickery. I highly recommend these stories for any person above the age of 10.

Here are some quotes I think are interesting and the titles of the stories they come from:

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet:

"Holmes", said I as I stood one morning in our bow-window looking down the street, "here is a madman coming along. It seems rather sad that his relatives should allow him to come out alone."

Yesterday I was seated in my office at the bank when a card was brought into me by one of the clerks. ~Mr. Holder


The Adventure of the Dancing Men

"This promises to be a most interesting and unusual case," said he. "You gave me a few particulars in your letter Mr. Hilton Cubitt, but I should be very much obliged if you would kindly go over it all again for the benefit of my friend Dr. Watson". ~Sherlock Holmes

"A good deal Mr. Holmes, I have several fresh dancing-men pictures for you to examine and, what is more important, I have seen the fellow"


The Adventure of the Speckled Band

"You see it, Watson?" he yelled. "You see it?" ~Sherlcok Holmes

"You speak of danger. You have evidently seen more in these rooms than is visible to me." ~Dr. Watson


One closing quote, from several of the stories:

"My dear Holmes!" ~Dr. Watson

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit. I've never read Sherlock Holmes. (I did watch a movie..but I suspect that's a very different experience!)

    Glad to read the review. I think I'll read one of the books and I'll let you know what I think!
    ~Barb

    ReplyDelete